Originally the people of Cobram and Katamatite travelled to Strathmerton for Mass. Once a month Mass was also celebrated at Barooga by Fr. Patrick Hartigan (John O'Brien) of "Around the Boree Log" fame.
Later Cobram and Katamatite were part of Yarrawonga Parish. From 1910 - 1922 Cobram was part of Numurkah Parish, the Church here being built in 1911.
Ten years later, in 1921, the convent and school were built and in 1922 the Sisters of Mercy arrived from Bendigo to open the school. In that year the Parish was established at Cobram and Fr. Ellis became first Parish Priest.
When the school opened on 14/2/1922 there were 65 pupils from Grade 1 to Grade 8. The school also functioned as a secondary school (Years 7-10) from 1957 to 1972. Numbers remained the same for about 25 years, the 100 mark not being reached until 1948.
Post war immigration and the extension of irrigation combined to make the school population grow rapidly in the fifties and sixties. School numbers peaked at 497 in 1968 including 120 secondary students. The primary school had about 350 pupils from the middle sixties to the nineties.
Several building programs were necessary and in 1956 the five room pre-fabricated building in Hay Avenue was opened. In 1960 two more classrooms were built and in 1969 a science room was added in Broadway Street. 1976 saw the addition of a portable classroom to help with migrant education and in 1981 a new red brick block, consisting of four classrooms was built.
In 1987 a new staff room, administration and toilet block were erected.
In 2000 the first stage of a Building Program saw the building of a new junior toilet block. This was followed by the building of five new classrooms to replace the Hay Avenue classrooms built in 1956.
In 2003 the portable library was replaced by a modern library with thirteen computers. The walkway between the library and the new classroom was closed in to create another classroom.
In 2009 'Building the Education Revolution' a Commonwealth Government initiative enabled us to renovate the original building – the stage area was converted into two work areas whilst the main body of the building was renovated into two classrooms, a wet area and a smaller learning space with folding doors that enable each classroom to utilise this extra space as well.
This Capital Grant also enabled us to build a performing arts centre. The hall complete with professional sound and lighting and retractable tiered-seating. The building also houses a foyer, classroom, kitchen and toilet facilities. This new facility will be a great asset for both the school and the local community. The new building opened mid 2011.
In 2012, Room 10 was extended to make another classroom to cater for increased enrolments.